actually a tree

I first thought that I was

A bird

Or the moon

Now I know

That I am actually 

A tree

It is true that

I welcomed so many birds

Gaily chirping 

Coursing each other

In my hair

Once I was sad when they left

I pitied their short lives

It is also true that

I was the witness of the moon

Raising and sinking 

in slow motion

for more years than I can count

Once I was eager to know

What countries she visited

When she dived behind the hill

But neither the birds

Nor the moon

Ever cared for me

To them I was only

Background 

Landscape 

They never realized

What would be a bird

Without a tree

To nest

What would be the moon

Without a forest

To shine on

Now I'm just content to stand here

I listen to the birds

And the moon

Talking of the ocean

Of distant mountains

Of strange lands

That I will never see

And I dream my tree dreams

Where sometimes I am

A bird

Or the moon